Sound testing is required for new residential buildings or conversions to satisfy Building Regs Part E. A typical test will include 2 airborne wall tests, 2 airborne floor tests and 2 impact floor tests. The number of tests may rise with building or room numbers in which case we work to a minimum 10% rule.
All our tests are carried out with class 1 equipment to IOS171 and ISO414 standards. On completion you’re provided with a comprehensive test report detailing all test results. In the unfortunate event of a failure we oﬀer free advice on how to resolve the issue, and re-test for 50% of the original fee.
We also oﬀer a sound insulation design service which is very aﬀordable and provides you with a report with all the necessary floor and wall designs, based on factors such as your chosen finishing materials and your existing building properties. All our partitions are designed using industry standard software which takes into consideration factors such as partition area, existing joist sizes and spacing etc.
The following checklist details the requirements that must be met before one of our testers can attend the site:
Sound Insulation Testing Checklist
- Windows should be fully installed, glazed & closable
- Trickle vents and other ventilation systems should be fitted
- Internal & external doors must be hung, glazed & closable
- All wall, floors & ceiling constructions must be completed
- Skirting boards should all be fitted & cornice where fitted
- Electrical sockets, TV Aerial sockets & light switches should be fitted
- Rooms must be clear of building materials, tools & unfurnished
- No cosmetic floor coverings should be fitted (i.e. laminate, carpet, vinyl, ceramics)
- No trades should be working in the dwellings during the tests
- Access to rooms either side of the separating structure is essential
- Non-tester access to the rooms is prohibited during testing
- No noisy operations (drilling, cutting or groundwork) to occur nearby during testing
- Provision of 240v 50Hz mains power is required within the dwellings